When it comes to Golden Retriever names, where do you begin?
Our ultimate naming guide has 525+ ideas inspired by the breed’s appearance, personality, and intelligence. It also includes names that are cute, regal, athletic, and more.
With so many great ideas, we’re confident you’ll walk away with plenty of naming inspiration for your precious new pup.
Get ready for 525+ top Golden Retriever names!
Cute Male Golden Retriever Names
The Golden Retriever is adorable. After all, who could resist that cute face, gorgeous fur, and sweet demeanor?
To capitalize on the cuteness, let’s look at male names that are downright adorable.
Some are among the most popular picks in the world. Others are unique. All of them are awesome.
Cute Female Golden Retriever Names
If you’re welcoming a four-legged female friend into your home, you’ll love these cute Golden Retriever names for girl dogs.
They have a certain charm and sweetness that is perfect for a pup like the Golden.
Names Based on Color
The Golden Retriever is famous for its fur, which can come in cream, light golden, gold, or even a dark gold that appears red.
To start our guide to Golden Retriever dog names, let’s look at ideas based on their coat coloring.
It probably won’t surprise you, but the most popular color is a golden hue. This color can range from a light yellow to a rich gold to a more tan tint.
You’re sure to find at least a few names you love in this awesome list.
Sometimes a Golden Retriever’s coat coloring is so rich that it almost appears red. If this is the case for your canine, you’ll want to explore these red dog names.
They’re unique and beautiful – just like the breed!
Cream and White Names
Today many Retrievers feature a coat that’s cream or even white. In fact, the English Cream Golden Retriever almost always has light-colored fur.
For these canines, cream and white dog names are also a great fit.
- Al Bino
- Bianco/Bianca – white in Italian
Fur-Inspired Dog Names
Just take one look at a Golden Retriever, and you’ll fall in love with their lustrous locks. After all, they’ve got quite the fabulous fur!
A hunting dog (you may like our hunting dog names listed here), the breed possesses a thick undercoat covered by a dense outer coat that can deflect water. Their fur feathers-out in certain parts of their body, including their front legs, chest, underbody, and tail.
While some Goldens have a wavy coat, others feature fur that is more straight.
All of this provides excellent inspiration for Golden Retriever names inspired by their great coat!
- Fuzzy Wuzzy
Golden Retriever Names Based on Personality
Sweet, intelligent, and ready to please, Golden Retriever dogs make excellent companions. It’s no wonder they’ve been in the top 10 for most popular dog breeds for decades.
Their sincere, loving personality provides some wonderful ideas for dog names.
- Happy – after all, Goldens are ALWAYS happy.
- Buddy – your Golden is clearly your best pal.
- Jubilee – the definition of jubilee is a celebration, which sounds an awful lot like how Goldens live their lives.
- Joy – because Goldens are pure joy.
- Earnest/Ernest – they’re also straightforward and devoted.
- Scout – with a strong nose, Goldens are always on the lookout.
- Skip – Goldens have a certain bounce to their step, like a skip.
- Coach – the breed acts as a natural leader, which makes the name Coach a fun choice.
- Chewie – a Golden Retriever puppy loves to chew, so you could have a little fun with the name!
- Chipper – because Golden Retrievers are happy and chipper.
- Jolly – this perfectly sums up this breed’s personality.
- Merry – another cute name that conveys this dog’s demeanor.
- Zippy – Goldens are lively and peppy, and this name sums it up.
- Speedy – because this breed loves to run around.
- Digby – great for a pup that likes digging in the dirt & playing outside.
Famous Golden Retriever Names Based on TV & Movies
Golden Retrievers make great family pets, so it’s no surprise they have appeared in many TV shows and movies as a beloved member of the household.
As you look for ideas, consider these canine classics.
- Comet – from Full House
- Bud – from Air Bud
- Dug – from Dug’s Special Mission
- Shadow – from Homeward Bound
- Brinkley – from You’ve Got Mail
- Fluke – from the 1995 movie of the same name
- Yeller – Golden mix from Old Yeller
- RoseBud – from Air Buddies series
Regal Male Golden Retriever Names
While looking for ideas, you may find that you’d like a more regal and refined name. That’s great because we have plenty of those ideas, too.
Take a look at these elegant male names and see if any are suitable for your dignified dog.
Regal Female Golden Retriever Names
The Golden Retriever walks with a certain air of elegance, which lends itself well to regal dog names.
Are any of these female names a good fit? Take a look and see.
Athletic Male Names
A sporting dog, the Golden Retriever, is incredibly athletic. They’re always ready for action, whether it’s a game of fetch, going for a walk, or taking a swim.
You could capitalize on this quality by giving your dog an athletic name!
If you have a male dog, here are plenty of athletic ideas.
Athletic Female Names
And if your dog is female, here are plenty of sporty ideas to explore. They draw inspiration from female athletes, strong characters, and so much more.
Smart Dog Names
When it comes to intelligence, Golden Retrievers are at the top of the list. So it’s no wonder why they’re the most popular service dog breed.
To recognize their keen intellect, why not go with an intelligent dog name? We have plenty of ideas!
The following ideas are inspired by the best schools in the world, the most intelligent people on the planet, commonly used scientific tools, and much more.
- Da Vinci
Congratulations on adding a Golden Retriever to your family. These friendly pups make fantastic pets.
Just be sure they receive adequate exercise and stimulation to help positively release their energy. A trained Golden Retriever can do amazing things, like serve as a companion dog.
And before we go, here’s a fun fact: Golden Retrievers were bred into existence by Lord Tweedmouth in the mid 19th century. According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), he wanted to create a skilled retriever to navigate Scottish climate and terrain.
To do this, he crossed his “yellow retriever” with the Tweed Water Spaniel, a now-extinct breed. Then, a mix of Irish Setter, Bloodhound, and other Tweed Water Spaniels led to the modern Golden Retriever.
We’re grateful for his efforts because they created one of the most popular pets on the planet.
Enjoy your new pet, and good luck finding a name!
More Dog Name Ideas
Another great place for dog names is our online generator. It lets you pick your favorite name styles or themes and then generates a list of ideas tailored to you and your dog.
Style options include cute, funny, tough, elegant, and more. The themes span everything from movies, TVs, books and comics, to history, food, music, and so on.
How Do You Pick The Right Name?
How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your new Golden Retriever?
After helping millions of new pup parents, we’ve discovered a few helpful tips and tricks over the years.
Once you’ve compiled a list of your favorite names, complete the following steps for each idea.
- Is the name easy to say? Sure, some names look good on paper, but in real life they could be quite tough to say. Before you lock in on a name, say it a few times to ensure it rolls off the tongue. If it’s a tongue twister, take it off the list.
- Is it right for your dog? It’s always a good idea to make sure the name fits your pup’s appearance and personality.
- Say it out loud a few times. Was it easy to say out loud? Can you imagine loudly calling for your furry friend with this name? If you’ve answered no, it’s not a good pick for either you or your pup.
- Trust your gut! Once you’ve completed these steps, you’ll know deep down when you find the right name.